Cannot get mysql extension to load - desperate

edfialk

Hi all, I'm desperately trying to get a simple mysql connection working in php 4.3.9 and I think I have a doozy for you guys.  First of all, I didn't set up ANY of this system, I'm just working with it.

So, on Redhat, we have two versions of PHP - Apache uses 4.3.9, there's also a 4.4.2 that is default from command-line.  4.3.9 was installed by RPM, 4.4.2 was built from source.

I can get mysql.so loaded and working fine in 4.4.2, but not in 4.3.9 (browser window).

The error on Apache startup:

PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so' - /var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

But I assure you the file and directory are there:

[root@niceguy httpd]# ll /var/www/html/extensions
total 1620
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  319888 Feb  2 10:06 gd.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   45632 Feb  2 10:06 ldap.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   41108 Feb  2 15:42 mysql.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1214134 Jan 19 10:24 php_mapscript.so

See that php_mapscript.so.  That loads fiine, perfectly in fact.

Here's a little more info:

[root@niceguy httpd]# rpm -qa | grep "php"
php-ldap-4.3.9-3.22
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.22
php-gd-4.3.9-3.22
php-4.3.9-3.22
php-pear-4.3.9-3.22

So check this out:

[root@niceguy mapserver]# /usr/bin/php -v
PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so' - /var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so: undefined symbol: php_sprintf in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so' - /var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so: undefined symbol: php_sprintf in Unknown on line 0
PHP 4.3.9 (cgi) (built: Nov  2 2006 16:40:38)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
[root@niceguy mapserver]# cp /usr/lib/php4/mysql.so /var/www/html/extensions
cp: overwrite `/var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so'? y
[root@niceguy mapserver]# /usr/bin/php -v
PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so' - /var/www/html/extensions/mysql.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

See what I did? First I put the 4.4.2 built  from source mysql.so connector into extensions directory and tried to load it - undefined symbol is understandable, so then I moved the 4.3.9 (supposedly working) version to my extensions and POOF file's not there....  You can even see that I overwrote the file.  So apache was reading it before...but not now.

Again, desperate.  Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

-Ed

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.