Help with settting up apache.... Not sure which IP address to use...

retrogamer4ever

Okay I am running Apache 2.2 on windows and I am behind a router my network ip address is 192.168.0.100 and I have forward that excat ip address on port 80. in the httpd.conf file I have set the "Server Name" to 192.168.0.100:80 and for the "Listen" I have 192.168.0.100:80 Now when I ren it locally it displays the "It works!" page. But when I try and access my website from school or from a friends computer it doesn't display, in fact it gives me a error page, "page can not be displayed, etc, etc". I typed in 192.168.0.100. Now I also have my other ip address the one I get from www.ipchicken.com which its seeming like perhaps that is the one I need to use.. but how do I use it? do I foward port 80 for that ip address, do I make the "server name" and "Listen" on that ip address? I am confused on which ip to use and how to use it.. A explaintion would be a HUGE help!!!

192.168.- indicates an internal ip address.  If you are accessing your site locally, then you can use that ip address.  However, if you are coming from the outside you need to use your external ip - not 192.168.-

From what you described it sounds like you have it setup properly.  All you have to do is find out what your external ip is and then put that in a browser outside of your local network and it should work. ;) 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.