IIS 5.1 + PHP 5.2 on WinXP Pro

lightningrod

I have posted this question in another section as well, but maybe this is where it belongs.

I have WinXP Pro SP2, IIS 5.1.  I used the PHP 5.2 Windows installer.  It went through all the motions, made the proper changes to IIS, and all that.  I made the classic test file "test.php" and put it in the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot folder.  When I type in my browser (IE7) http://localhost/test.php all I get is 404 error (page can not be found).  If I type in my domain name or IP address (instead of "localhost") I get the correct php info page.  Why would "localhost" not work? And how can I fix it?  And does it matter?

My next step is to use PHP to work with MySQL for web database, but I have to know if the PHP is working properly with IIS.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.