Getting a passing URL

_giles_

I don't need it for security, but I was thinking about it as a way of segregating paying from free visitors - (e.g. if visitor comes from a site that's signed up to our full service ...admit to full service, IfElse ... pass onto free pages) ... would that work?

OK here's the thing ...

I'm working on a site that will service users coming from a number or regular clients, and some just browsing. The subscription clients have too many users to issue passwords or login's, so the easiest thing right now would be to log them by URL. session_start() and security will occur after that.

So I simply need this ... where did you come from stage ... is $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] stable enough to give me that?

I would say its really not that stable at all. Firefox can be configured to not send http_referer information, and ive also known some firewalls preventing it from being sent. I investigated using it when i was making a text based game as a means of preventing people sending malicous data from other sources; but it really wasn't a good idea. You will find that legitimate users will suffer.

OK ... so maybe ask the visitor to fill in a password displayed on the referring page. that way it's easy for them, that way I get to know of their referred or browsing?

Eitherway thanks for shouting me back - I'm wiser and better for it - appreciate you spending the time  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.