[SOLVED] Newbie Question: What do I need?

netcoord99

I don't mind admitting my ignorance here, but I did just install MySQL and created a database... so I am already on my way! BTW.. I am an old mainframe programmer eager to learn PHP/MySQL !

But, I got to the PHP part of the books and would appreciate it if you or someone could tell me how this all fits together?

I want to develop PHP programs on my home computer but need to know the basics of how this all fits together.. What all do I have to run on my computer to write programs?

All of these running all at the same time (Windows XP) or ???

1. MySQL server

2. Apache Server

3. PHP program

To let my wife use the computer to surf the web at night, do I have to shutdown anything?

Got the picture? ..lol..  ???

thanks!!

Mike

if you have PHP and MYSql and also the apache server on your system then you have everything you need to start write php/mysql programs, did you install all of the seperatley of use something like WAMP or XAMPP?? the PHP files need to be in the root of the apache server, there is normally a folder for this ( on XAMPP its called htdocs) then you make a databse on mysql crate a user to manipulate it, write a connection script on a php page and you are off and running and as its a local server it can stay running when your wife surfs the internet

hopefully that all makes some sort of sense

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.