Problem getting PHP to process variables (I think)

I hate to ask such a n00b question, but...

I am trying to learn PHP. So far, I have only learned basic syntax, operators, print and echo, array syntax, function syntax, and do/while and for loops. The main reason I am having great difficulty learning is because I have a hard time learning the material if I can't implement it or practice with it, i.e. use the new knowledge in a working PHP script. However, the first time I installed PHP, I was able to get some scripts to work properly, like a basic <?php phpinfo(); ?> script, and another one that checks what browser you are using, but any time I try to run a script with a variable, it fails. Before I get into the details of that; one time I was so frustrated I just started turning random PHP extensions on that normally come preconfigured as off, and I got it to work. But then, 2 new PHP versions came out and I figured I better upgrade for the security fixes (I had forgotten about the problems I had had in the beginning) and so now I'm back to square one with 5.21

Consider the following 2 documents:

whatsName.html

<html>

<head>

<title>What's your name?</title>

</head>

<body>

<h1>What's your name?</h1>

<h3>Writing a form for user input</h3>

<form method = "get"

action = "hiUser.php">

Please type your name:

<input type = "text"

name = "userName"

value = "">

<input type = "submit">

</form>

</body>

</html>

and

hiUser.php

<html>

<head>

<title>Hi User</title>

</head>

<body>

<h1>Hi User</h1>

<h3>PHP program that receives a value from "whatsName"</h3>

<?php

print "<h3>Hi there, $userName !</h3>";

?>

</body>

</html>

Now, both are in the same directory, contained in a Project folder in my www folder, and both are in the same directory as the phpinfo() script that does work along with the browser detector script that also does work. When I type an input and hit submit, it loads hiUser.php, but there is no data where the variable should be. On other scripts, it will either give me a garbled piece of the script near where the variable is dealt with, or it will again display nothing at all. This only seems to be a problem with scripts containing variables.

Any suggestions?

Hmm.. Try not to manully install PHP yourself if you're not very sure what extension needed to be activated. Install WAMP for script testing purposes.

Try not to use GET for the method, use POST instead.

In your hiUser.php

Replace $userName with $_POST['userName']

Hope that helps.

Hmm.. Try not to manully install PHP yourself if you're not very sure what extension needed to be activated. Install WAMP for script testing purposes.

Try not to use GET for the method, use POST instead.

In your hiUser.php

Replace $userName with $_POST['userName']

Hope that helps.

Well, for one thing, I did use WAMP. I haven't messed with it at all... for some reason it doesn't like to work with the standard preconfig settings. Replacing $userName with what you suggested caused an error... so not sure. Also, both documents I posted are taken directly from a PHP/mySQL book I bought, and they are both unedited files from the book's CD.

UPDATE:

Ok I've narrowed down the problem a little bit. It seems the only scripts that are failing are ones that start with an html document which sends data to a php document that displays the results. All php documents in my www folder work properly except for these... any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.