problems with the forgot password script?

proud

This script is supposed to submit an email to a user who forgot his password, but i dont know whats wrong with the script although i tried my best i keep getting this error .

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\AppServ\www\forgotpassck.php on line 44.

By the way if this script wont work does anyone know an alternative?

note:I added a comment in Line 44.

<?
include "connect.php";
?>

<html>

<head>
<title>Forgot Pass CK</title>

</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#0000ff" vlink="#800080" alink="#ff0000">
<?
$email=mysql_real_escape_string($email);
$status = "OK";

//error_reporting(E_ERROR | E_PARSE | E_CORE_ERROR);
if (!stristr($email,"@") OR !stristr($email,".")) {
$msg="Your email address is not correct<BR>"; 
$status= "NOTOK";}

if($status=="OK"){ 
$query="SELECT * FROM users WHERE users.user_email = '$email'";
$st=mysql_query($query);
$recs=mysql_num_rows($st);
$row=mysql_fetch_object($st);
$em=$row->user_email;// email is stored to a variable
if ($recs == 0) {  echo "<center><font face='Verdana' size='2' color=red><b>No Password</b><br> Sorry Your address is not there in our database . You can signup and login to use our site. <BR><BR><a href='login.php'> Login</a> </center>"; exit;}

$headers4="yassirca@hotmail.com";         ///// Change this address within quotes to your address ///
$headers.="Reply-to: $headers4\n";
$headers .= "From: $headers4\n"; 
$headers .= "Errors-to: $headers4\n"; 
//$headers = "Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\n".$headers;// for html mail un-comment this line

//////// line44 ////////  if(mail("$em","Your Request for login details","This is in response to your request for login detailst at site_name \n \nLogin ID: $row->user_id \n Password: $row->user_pass \n\n Thank You \n \n siteadmin","$headers")){echo "<center><font face='Verdana' size='2' ><b>THANK YOU</b> <br>Your password is posted to your email address . Please check your mail after some time. </center>";}
else{ echo " <center><font face='Verdana' size='2' color=red >There is some system problem in sending login details to your address. Please contact site-admin. <br><br><input type='button' value='Retry' onClick='history.go(-1)'></center></font>";}

} 

else {echo "<center><font face='Verdana' size='2' color=red >Your email address is not correct <br><br><input type='button' value='Retry' onClick='history.go(-1)'></center></font>";}
?>

</body>

</html>

It seems that you are trying your script on your local machine and it does not have a SMTP server configured. Which is required to send mails. You can use some external SMTP server if you have access to any.

You can define the details of your SMTP server in your php.ini file and that will allow emails to be sent.

You can also configure SMTP server on your local machine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.