[SOLVED] Can an app read external email?

PureEvil

Howdy all...

We currently use phone and an email address called helpdesk@ where I work to handle the helpdesk calls. We however want to move the email part to the back burner replacing it with an app we are working on in house to be used on our intranet. I wrote the app in php using mySQL for the database. Now however my boss wants to know if we can have this app make calls to the helpdesk@ email account and down load those emails and make tickets out of them. I have no idea how to do this, I'm sure it can be done as I've found little to nothing php can't do =P

So here is what I'm asking for the app to do:

1. Connect to our external pop server and download the emails (this server is also in house but on a different physical box)

2. Take those emails and compare them to user email addresses in the helpdesk database

3. If the email address matches a user, add a ticket under that user’s name

4. If the email address does NOT exist then put that email in a general box

5. Flag all general box emails to be added as helpdesk users by an admin

I'm NOT asking for anyone to do this for me, I'm simply asking for a push in the right direction to find the details I need to make this happen. IE tutorials, docs, faqs etc on how to make an app connect to an external mail source, download and read emails. (if even possible) of course if you have a snippet of code you want to post to help me out, feel free =)

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.