Frameworks noob and user management

ruzel

I'm pretty handy with PHP at this point but I have only ever worked with one-off scripts and designing plugins/patches for other applications.  Now, I'm all ready to set off on my first web development adventure.  The app that I have in mind is hardly anything more than a user management system.  The users have data that they are tracking individually but none of that is too complicated for me (DB architecture included) and I know that part has to be custom built.

My question is, how do I not re-invent a user management system?  It seems like some frameworks like PEAR or CAKE are intended for that, but I must be missing something, because I don't understand how to get a system out of the components/libraries they offer.  Am I looking for what I want at the wrong level?  Is there a "standard" user management framework out there?  Am I even on the right track?

For anyoen else looking, I have managed to find a lot of good answers here in this article:

http://hades.phparch.com/ceres/public/article/index.php/art::cakephp::overview

As well as a lot of opinions on what frameworks are best for PHP:

http://www.h3rald.com/articles/view/rails-inspired-php-frameworks/

Looks like I need to learn what design patterns are!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.