PHP parser help...

chiching72

Hey all,

I am supposed to create an e-learning site for a project. At the backend there should be databases for storing learning objects including texts, images, questions and answers, problems and solutions, quizzes, etc. On the server side I am supposed to write some PHP scripts to parse these pieces of hypertexts, taken from database, into HTML documents that can be rendered by Web browsers.

I don't even know where to begin... any general suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. How do I store images into a database? How many tables should I have in my database, one for each lesson or one for each object?

As a start I would suggest one table listing the lessons and one table containing all the objects (or possibly one image table and one hypertext table).  Then you would also have a table that links lessons and their objects together.

There are efficiency advantages to having smaller tables and one for each lesson, but the administration can get quite messy.  As for where to start, look for some tutorials and complete them.  The topic is too large to cover here.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.