[SOLVED] Trying to install GD Library - won't work!

Help - newbie struggling with config on my desktop. Using PHP 5.2/Apache 2.2/MySQL 5)

I have copied php_gd2.dll (which I had to copy out of a php 4.3 download as I couldn't find it anywhere else) into ../php/ext and amended php.ini to use it. This has not made it available to use (I'm trying to install to use in Drupal CMS - v5.1). I've struggled with finding documentation on how to do this - it usually refers to *nix and downloads all seem to require compiling - all a bit beyond my current technical grasp.

Can anyone advise?

To turn it on, the you may simply uncomment the line "extension=php_gd2.dll" in php.ini and restart the PHP extension. Change:

#extension=php_gd2.dll

To:

extension=php_gd2.dll

You may also have to correct the extension directory setting from:

extension_dir = "./"

Or:

extension_dir = "./extensions"

To (FOR WINDOWS):

extension_dir = "c:/php/extensions" NOTE: SUBSTITUTE THE ACTUAL PHP INSTALLATION DIRECTORY ON *YOUR* COMPUTER.

courtesy of <a href="http://www.boutell.com/gd/faq.html">Boutell.Com</a>

Yes I have. I getting to the point where I feel the need to reinstall PHP - I did it with the installer.Would it be better to do it manually? I 've seen some stuff out there saying a similar problem was overcoming by going back to PHP 4.somethingorother - seems unreasonable to me that something so fundamental as enabling extensions can't be made to work in the latest version!

Thanks

Mark

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.