Apache server killed by stapler...

bigsid

Hi,

I have a RedHat Linux 4 box running a pretty standard Apache 2 RPM installation. I'm running SMF forum with PHP 5 and MySQL 4. The other day we lost the webserver as in it went down, or at least very slow. When we checked on the server that runs Apache the load had hit about 50 and we had nearly 200 zombie processes...

Anyway, today it turns out that this was due to a stapler falling off someones monitor stand and landing on their F5 key whilst they were on our website. The constant page refreshes killed the server and this was from just one client!

We recreated the problem today (again using the stapler for authenticity :-) and saw the same problem.

How can I prevent this sort of client behaviour trashing our server in the future (apart from going round the office confiscating staplers)?

Thanks - Sid

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.