need advise/help with my query..

DanDaBeginner

I have this:

table name: message

Fields: message_id  |  recepient_id  |  sender_id  |  content  |  time_sent  |  read

auto+increment          1                    2                hello!     

2                    1                hi!           

1                    3                kiss me!

3                    1                sure!       

-----------------------------------

now my question is how can I get the latest conversation between 2 and 1.. for example 1 is the user and if 1 is the latest sender of their

conversation it will display like this:

conversation with 2: hello! - by me

if 2 is the lates of their sender then it will display like this:

conversation with 2: hi!

How about:

SELECT * FROM message WHERE recipient_id IN (1, 2) ORDER BY message_id DESC LIMIT 1

Or, order by time_sent, which should match message_id in ordering I presume.  Then you can check if the message was to 1 or 2 and display the appropriate output.

Is that what you wanted?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.