$_SESSION variables weird behaviour!

jeffery1493

Hi All,

I have been working with $_SESSION variables with an online business, and have had quite a headache.    The problem is I have a php program sitting on the other end of a PayPal pay routine, that should only execute -if and only if- the person has paid.

This works easily enough, I have it set up by setting the 'returnurl' variable for PayPal, and with all the right validation code the process works smoothly:

----

$notifyurl = 'www.mysite.com/notifyprocess.php';

$returnurl = 'www.mysite.com/i_already_paid.php';

----

The problem is preventing someone malicious from typing in on the address line, "www.mysite.com/i_already_paid.php" and having it execute without paying.

A simple conditional like the one below in the 'i_already_paid.php' program should check tor validation, but passing it along with the URL would not be a good idea I would think.   So, I opted with a hidden session variable:

----

if ( $_SESSION['passkey'] = 123456 )

{

// do nothing

}

else

{

message_die (GENERAL_MESSAGE, "You are not authorized to view this page");

}

----

I can then set the $passkey variable along the way when I get a successful pay from PayPal, and since the user can't see it, they can't just run the program on the address line. 

The problem is, the $_SESSION variable 'passkey' is sometimes kicking out and disappearing.   I've tried ideas like session_write_close() and others, but I can't see how to be sure $_SESSION will keep from getting lost.  It is possibly because going through the https://www.paypal.com and redirecting back causes mayhem with the session.

Is there a better way to do this?   At my wits end.......thanks for any advice.

:-\

JEFFERY1493

I'm having a similar issue with a secpay post. I'm storing some session verialble prior to the call to secpay, but upon the return the session variables are all empty.

It looks like handing over to a form that exists on a seperate server (in my case Secpay) is s=ending the session and wiping the vars.

Can any one confirm this for me?

The only work around I can think of is storing the session vars in a database table referenced by a trans_id that I pass to secpay and secpay pass back to me

Regards

Mark

YEs...you are on the right track here.

1. I generate a transaction id in the db first.

2. I generate the submission form and button.

3. I encrypt the trans_id

4. I include this in my return url ie /i_have_paid.php?trans_id=87Fgfg76dfhghGHHJG8sd

5. On return I query the DB and se if the Decrypted pass matches and if so process and if no fail.

Hope that makes sense

Will

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.