[SOLVED] Apache Overloaded Server (Error 500)

marmite

Hello,

I'm very new to coding, so apologies for a silly question... :-[

I have Apache installed. I have been coding simple scripts and saving them into xampp/htdocs, viewing them through my browser. All working great.

Now I have been given the code of my own complex e-commerce website (which was coded by someone else, but is now technically looked after by me... a baptism of fire!).

I have placed the code in a sub-folder of htdocs that I've created, but when I try to call up the index page I get a server error ("either the server was overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script, error 500").

If I call up a small file of my own (e.g. test.php) in a different subdirectory, it works fine. If I place test.php into the same subdirectory as all the website files, I get the error. So the file itself is not the problem & the existence of a subdirectory is not the problem.

Am I overloading the server? All the website files together are only 6.5 MB. (NB I don't have the DB set up on my pc but didn't think I'd need this to just view the pages - don't know if that's causing an internal problem?)

Any help really appreciated.  ???

Thanks, done that. The most recent says that a file is missing:

[Fri Mar 02 14:31:43 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/Program Files/xampp/htdocs/themes

1) There is no such file on the production server

2) There is no reference to the word "themes" in any of the files on the production server

Why would it need this file when it is not needed on Prod, and when it is not referenced anywhere?

Grateful for your help,

Emma

There's this message too:

[Fri Mar 02 15:41:14 2007] [alert] [client 127.0.0.1] C:/Program Files/xampp/htdocs/Test/.htaccess: Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

RewriteEngine is a function (I guess) called from the .htaccess. I can't find reference to it elsewhere.

Perhaps the functions are defined outside of the space to which I have access (server-wide). I'll ask the web developer.

Thanks for tips so far.

Emma

Allllrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigghhhht !!!

Yeehaa. It works! I'm missing some gifs and stuff but I can see the basic site.  ;D

Thanks for your help and I hope you have a scrumptious weekend! Thanks for your help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.