wisdom for secure email form

wholein1

Hello I am setting up a site for a resturuant. They want to be able to recieve email that come form a contact form that has their menu on it. They also want to be able to collect the credit card information in the email. Then they will manually enter the credit card into their machine. My struggle not knowing PHP well enough to cause it to be a secure place. My main concern is securing the information. Can anyone shed light on the subject.

Thank you

Jeff

Hi,

The safest thing is to tell the restaurant to give you money, so that you can buy an SSL sertificate (every hosting company sell some kind of SSL sertificate) and secure the form page. That way, the form will be encrypted when submitted. The restaurant will still receive readable email. The certificate only helps against people who scan incoming and outgoing packages for a web page, because they will receive the data from the form as an encrypted file, and thay can do nothing with it. The information will be safe! So, buy an SSL sertificate (it costs about $100 for a year, i think) and don't forget to include some security in your form, like the verification code, javascript verification of the credit card lenghts number (16 character) and check if the required fields are not empty. Don't worry! If you do as I say, it will be secure. Just don't forget the SSL sertificate for the form page!

All the best,

Adika

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.