Stripping characters from a variable

globex

Hello,

I have a variable which holds two numbers separated by an 'x'. Like this: 100x100, or 80x34 or 480x12. How do I:

a) strip the first number and the x to get just the second number

b) strip the x and the last number to get just the first number

I'm very new at PHP so some details and simple explanations would be fantastic. Or maybe just point me in the direction of the proper documentation page.

Thanks.

does substr() not need a static length? as in that example will it assume its always, for example, 123x456 ie. 3 numbers, then x, then 3 numbers?

So it wouldn't work for 4 numbers, or 2 numbers

I would also use explode personally.

Amen to Chris.

If you used substr with strpos you could find the position of the X and use that, but you would still have to call it twice one to get the beginning and one for the end whereas explode does it in one line and I believe is a simpler way to do it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.