display table, adding 'update' button

wlpywd

I am trying to do things step by step so i do not get confused or loose where i am.  I want a simple table display of info entered into a database.  I am right now trying to get update buttons in a column in my table.  Here is what i'm doing.

1. form to insert data into a mysql database -- done

2. make insert.php file to handle posting form data - done

3. make a dynamic table to display info from the database --done

4. make an update.php file to handle posting updates to records -- done

5. make an update button at the end of each row in my table, in a new column-- that will update that row of data --??? stuck!!

I think i can make a separate page thats a form that will update a record, but for some reason i can't get this to display for each record in its own column in a dynamic table display page. 

(1)First i would like to get the 'update' button to work for each row, then

(2)i would like to change 1 text area of data from that row's 6 or so data fields so that instead of replacing the original data, like the other 5 records, it would just add to data originally entered in that text area.  Is that possible? 

(3)Then i would like to ajax my table display page so when you hit 'update' button at the end of each row, it either changes that row into a form to update or 'expand down' a form for each row to update the data.  Are these 3 steps also seeming correct to you, or will i need to do 2 or more of these at the same time to not make it more difficult for myself? 

So, i'm asking how can i make an update button display in a new column of data for each row displayed from mysql database?  and then are my next two steps in creating this page logical or am i making something too difficult?

thank you anyone!! I am a newbie, but trying very hard and so far i think doing ok entering data and displaying it in a dynamic table! 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.