failed to open dir: no such file or directory

PirateNinjaNala

I want to write a program that will upload data from files into a database. The files are on a different server than the web server. This is what I am currently doing:

$directory  = "file://///zim/Bionutrition/Data" . " " . "Transfer/ESHA/";

$scandir = scandir($directory);

This is the error message that I get.

Warning: scandir(file://///zim/Bionutrition/Data Transfer/ESHA/) [function.scandir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /home/web/gcrcstaff.crc.medctr.ohio-state.edu/bionutrition/data_mgt/ESHA/index.php on line 8

Warning: scandir() [function.scandir]: (errno 2): No such file or directory in /home/web/gcrcstaff.crc.medctr.ohio-state.edu/bionutrition/data_mgt/ESHA/index.php on line 8

I am absolutely sure that the path exists. I have copied and pasted that url into Firefox without a problem. I have tried accessing that directory by using the machine's IP address instead of its name, but I get an error that says "failed to open dir: not implemented".

I'm no expert but it looks like you have way too many ///s in that file path.

I've tried it without the extra slashes, but it still doesn't work. I've tried it with two and I've tried it with none.

you have a space between your path and filename. what's that about?

$directory  = "file://///zim/Bionutrition/Data" . " " . "Transfer/ESHA/";

if you have a space in your directory name, try escaping the whitespace like this:

file://zim/Bionutrition/Data\ Transfer/ESHA/";

or try this:

$directory = "file://zim/Bionutrition/Data/Transfer/ESHA/";

or try this:

$directory = "/zim/Bionutrition/Data/Transfer/ESHA/";

if you have a '/' at the very beginning of your path, this means that you are coming from the ROOT directory. is this where you want to start from?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.