Display mp3 script

Ojay

Hey everyone... this is my first post, WOOOOO! It's good to be here!

I am here because my basic knowledge of PHP is restricting me... All i want to create is a script that displays a directory of mp3's as dynamically generated links. I can build a form to upload the mp3's to a directory, i just can't find/figure out a script that will display them.

If any one knows a tutorial, script or is willing to show me how to achieve such a thing i will drink a beer and toast it in honour of their name.

thanks for any help!

xxx

One way to do what you are talking about is store a file link to the mp3 in a mysql database.  Then you query the database and display the rows returned on your site as links.  This is fairly simple and is something I have done in the past.

The other option, which I have NOT done, is to use some of the directory functions.  In particular you'd be interested in the scandir() function.  Check out the manual here: http://us2.php.net/dir.  I'm guessing the scandir function returns an array of all files in a given directory and then you can use a foreach loop to iterate through them.  This is probably the easiest of the two solutions, but I'm not sure which is the best.

Not to hijack your thread, but if any more experience PHP programmers read this which solution do you think I provided is the "better" of the two (or other solutions as well).  Basically I'm asking: Does a query / echo the returned rows from a db, result in faster response time and less load on the server, than the scandir() method?  Please advise.

here is some code I use to dynamically show all files in a directory (I did not write this, and don't remember where I got it). You should be able to modify it to show only .mp3 files pretty easy.

<?php

$cwd=getcwd();

$path = "$cwd";

$dir_handle = @opendir($path) or die("Unable to open $path");

while ($file = readdir($dir_handle))

{

if($file!="." && $file!=".." && $file !="index.php")

echo "<li><a href='$file'>$file</a></li>";

}

//closing the directory

closedir($dir_handle);

?>

here is a script i have for a fileing service, it links to all the files in a specific folder.. i dunno how much of the code is good for you, but there is alot of good stuff in here...

if(isset($_POST['submit2'])){

$first=$_POST['new'];
$end=$_POST['end'];
$name="$first.$end";
$types = array('gif', 'jpeg', 'jpg', 'pjpeg','bmp','txt','doc','php','html','mpg','css','mpeg','png','xls');
$parts = explode('.', $name);
$key = count($parts) - 1;
$ext = strtolower($parts[$key]);
if (in_array($ext, $types)) {
$page = fopen("userfolders/$folder/$name", 'x+');
$content=" ";
fwrite($page, $content);
$cpage="INSERT INTO files VALUES('','$name','$end','$user','0')";
$result = mysql_query($cpage) or die ("Error in query: $cpage. ".mysql_error()); 
}else{
echo "Sorry Your File is not supported, Please The administrator";
}

if(isset($_POST['upload'])){
$dest="userfolders/$folder/".$_FILES['ph']['name'];

copy($_FILES['ph']['tmp_name'],"$dest");
$filer=$_FILES['ph']['name'];
$type=$_FILES['ph']['type'];
$cpage="INSERT INTO files VALUES('','$filer','$type','$user','0')";
$result = mysql_query($cpage) or die ("Error in query: $cpage. ".mysql_error()); 
       print "File has been successfully uploaded!<br>";
}
}
$dir = "userfolders/$folder/";
$dh  = opendir($dir);
while (false !== ($filename = readdir($dh))) {
    $files[] = $filename;
}

$delete = array();
echo "<table align=center cellspacing=0 cellpadding=5>";
$bg = '#eeeeee';
echo "<tr><td>File</td><td>Download</td><td>Delete</td><td>Public</td></tr><form method=POST>";
$re = array_search('..', $files);
$rem = array_search('.', $files);
unset($files[$rem], $files[$re]);
$totalp = count($files);
foreach($files as $id => $file){
$file1 = str_replace(" ", "_", "$file");
$file2 = str_replace(".", ".", "$file1");
$nfile = base64_encode("$file1");
echo '<tr>';
echo "<td align=left><a href=page.php?f=$nfile>$file2</a></td><td><a href=download.php?f=$nfile><b><font color=black>Download</font></b></a></td><td><input type=checkbox name=delete[] value=$file></td><td><a href=public.php?f=$nfile>Make Public</a></td></tr>";
echo '</tr>';
}
echo "<tr><td>Total Files: $totalp</td><td></td><td><input type=submit name=subm value=Delete></td></tr></table></form>";

if(isset($_POST['subm'])){
$delete=$_POST['delete'];

foreach($delete as $rfiles){
@unlink("userfolders/$folder/$rfiles") or die ("The file doesnt exist!");
$rem="DELETE FROM files WHERE Name='$rfiles'";
$result = mysql_query($rem) or die ("Error in query: $rem. ".mysql_error()); 
}
}
}

OH MY LORD!!!!

Thanks everyone... there's more than enough for me to be getting my teeth into  ;)

Although there's going to be a lot of toasting... i may end up rather wonkey  :P

Thanks again, i'll be back once i've figured smthg out...

cheers!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.