[SOLVED] table structure for ecommerce product data

bcamp1973

i'm building a modest ecommerce platform and I'm having trouble deciding how best to store product information. The site will sell various types of product so it needs to be flexible.  My problem is this.  There will be various product categories and subcategories.  For examples "Shoes" will be a parent, and its children might be "Sandals", "Dress Shoes", "Sneakers" etc. Then another category might be "Shirts" etc.  However, based on the category the products will have different data.  For shoes, sizes will be something like 7-16, Shirts will be S,M,L,XL etc. Shoes will also have widths.  Some products will have different material composition to choose from (Leather/canvas etc.).  Has anyone successfully modeled this in such a way that isn't a sloppy performance hog or a rat's nest of tables?  ::)  I just want to do this right the first time and my googling isn't getting me any good examples  :-[

My tables would probably look something like this:

- categories (id, parent_id, description, sort_order)

- items (id, cat_id, description, size_id, material_id, color_id, ...)

- sizes

- inventory

Using that approach you can comfortably nest categories 3 levels deep. (Shirts->Dress->Long Sleeve). If you feel you need to go more than 3 levels deep, then I'd suggest a different approach. But I kinda doubt you'll need to.

Thanks artacus!  I think that clarifies a couple things for me. Looking at it this morning after a nights sleep doesn't hurt either ;) Your reply raises a couple questions for me tho. For one, inventory...my initial thought was to have a "quantity" file in the item table.  Your suggestion makes me think i'm not quite thinking it through enough.  Also, if i wanted to go more than three levels deep (possible but not sure at this point) how might you approach that?

Well the queries for going much deeper than 3 levels gets unruly. So then you switch to the nested tree approach.

There was a great tutorial for doing this in PHP at phpriot.com. The link isn't working for me at the moment. Maybe the server is just having problems...

http://www.phpriot.com/d/articles/php/application-design/nested-trees-2/index.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.