[SOLVED] What is wrong with this query?!?!

HaLo2FrEeEk

I cannot figure it out, it seems perfect to me, but I'm tired right now.  Its supposed to get the latest topic_id from ONLY forum 1, which is news, where the title of the post starts with "Weekly Update: ", but it is returning the latest value from the entire database whose title starts with "Weekly Update: ", what am I doing wrong:

SELECT post_text
FROM phpbb_posts_text
WHERE post_id = (
  SELECT topic_first_post_id
  FROM phpbb_topics
  WHERE topic_id = (
    SELECT max(t.topic_id)
    FROM phpbb_forums f,
         phpbb_topics t
    WHERE f.forum_id = '1'
    AND t.topic_title like 'Weekly Update: %'
    )
  )

That's because you haven't added a join condition, like

AND f.id = t.id

You'll need to use the appropriate column which links f and t.

If you're still having trouble, can you post the table definitions?

There is no f.id, there is f.forum_id, and there is t.topic_id, and they are not equal, I want results from forum_id 1, which is news, and it'll be returning a topic id which will be int he 4 and 5 hundreds.  It is a default phpbb installation, if you have access to one to look at.  What do you mean by table definitions?

Guest footballkid4

The subquery should look something like:

SELECT max(t.topic_id) 
FROM phpbb_forums f, phpbb_topics t
WHERE t.forum_id=f.forum_id 
AND f.forum_id =1
AND t.topic_title LIKE 'Weekly Update: %'

Guest footballkid4

Basically the t.forum_id=f.forum_id tells SQL to match up the columns in that manner.

Without matching those up, you never know how your data will match up.  You could have a topic from forum 3 that will show up with data from forum 2...since you never told MySQL to match it up.  Basically, MySQL reads that statement and thinks:

Take all of the rows from the specified table with the specified WHERE clause, and match them up so that the topic table's forum_id is the same as the forum table's forum_id.  This will ensure that all topics in forum 3 are associated with forum 3 data.  It's relatively hard to explain, which is why I'm going to end it here.  All that matters is that it's a way of telling MySQL where to sync up the data.

I understand completely, that was a good explanation (I have a pretty good head on my shoulders, just sometimes I miss things, and I just got home from work, so I'm kinda tired, and missed something  :-\)

Anywho, I didn't see that phpbb_topics had a forum_id row in it, otherwise I might have figured it out...maybe...anyways...

Thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.