[SOLVED] Problems with Charsets

jorgep

Hi, Im working in a VoIP company and Im developing a multilanguage website manager, we have a local server wich is a duplicate of the live one (OS, Web Server, Files, etc.). Like we are looking for a future compatibility with chinese characters I configured the Data Base Table with UTF8 and the meta tags of the files that I added the <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />.

The system that I designed is working properly in the local server but when I upload it to the live server it looks diferent. I looked the headers of the live web server and this is what it looks like:

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:28:24 GMT

Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Linux/SUSE)

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.0.4

Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT

Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0

Pragma: no-cache

Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100

Connection: Keep-Alive

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

200 OK

I've read that the web server could be configured to overwrite the meta tags that I specify in the php file.

The problem is that I just need the UTF8 Encoding for a subfolder not to the intire web site.

Have you had this problem before? How can I solve it? Or how can I apply an .htaccess config file to a subfolder? ???

Thanks!

I solved it!!!

It was in deed the Web Server that was overriding the charsets that I was sending with the meta tags.

I created an .htaccess inside the subfolder that I wanted to change the charset and added this line to the file:

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Its working perfect now!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.