sorry wrong forum but someone here sould know how to help with this

gazever

I have recently transferred some of my domains to a new hosting company, I have pointed my name servers to the new addresses, but at work the dns server doesnt seem to update very quickly, 36hrs plus, I know the ip addresses of where the new domains will be hosted, and i have set the accounts up and have the files uploaded to them, can i view the sites from the ip before the dns update, i.e        ipaddress/mydomain.com.

Thanks

Gaz

P.s. sorry it isnt PHP related., but figured someone here would have knowledge of this.

Yeah that COULD work, but most likely wont because these providers will host lots of domains on a single IP  and the server decides where to point you based on the domain name. What you can do is add an entry to your hosts file.

My bad, you were trying...

if your domain was called 'superDomainName'....then you were trying ... ip.superDomainName.com??

You don't put in the IP and THEN the domain, you JUST put in the IP....the domain name is simply a pointer that tells you go to to the IP....

just put in your ip, and then any subdirectories that are necessary....

example:

the page I want is....ajaxMofo.com/stories....

the domain name isn't working, but its IP is 39.586.23.199....

then I'd type 39.586.23.199/stories......

or http://39.586.23.199/stories....I forget...either way, you ONLY type in the IP and then the subdirectories, etc.

Edit: Also, some hosting companies put up subdomains as a location which your main domain points to....for example my previous web hosting company 1and1.com set up a subdomain called http://s157797376.onlinehome.us/ - when my actual domain jake3p0.com started working, jake3p0.com was basically pointing to http://s157797376.onlinehome.us/

if i point my browser at the ip address, it just comes to a blank page with a title client demo, ive tried putting the domain, in front and behind the ip address, my user account either side too, guess i'll just wait til the dns updates, just dont know why it takes so long at work, is it there actual internal server or is that an isp thing, is there anyway to find out when dns records are scheduled to update?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Gaz

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.