Using drop down boxes connected to oracle

Hi,

Im looking at using two drop down boxes one which will hold a selection of values and then depending on those values i want the second drop down box to be filled by a query from the database for example.

In the first drop down box i select search by type and then in the second I want all the types from the product type table to be listed! The user will then select the type they want to search for and a query is run and the results returned for every record that the specified type is used.

Any suggestions: Im new to oracle and php so go easy on me! Thanks

• 3 months later...

You could use AJAX to populate the second dropdown box dynamically, but I don't think you're looking for a solution that sophisticated.

Instead, try this: Make a form that submits to itself, and make the PHP script that creates the form check to see if the variable from the first dropdown box was submitted with the request.

<form name='theform'>
<select name='type' onChange='document.theform.submit()'>
<?
$DB = oci_connect("user", "pswd", "db");
$get_types = OCIParse($DB, "select distinct type from product");
OCIExecute($get_types);
while($type = oci_fetch_array($get_types))
   echo "<option value='{$type['TYPE']}' " . ((isset($_GET['type']) && $_GET['type'] == $type['TYPE']) ? "selected" : "") . ">{$type['TYPE']}</option>\n";
OCIFreeStatement($get_types);
?>
</select>
<p>
<?
if(isset($_GET['type'])){
   echo "<select name='product'>\n";
   $get_products = OCIParse($DB, "select product from product where type = :type");
   ocibindbynname($get_products, ":type", $_GET['type']);
   OCIExecute($get_products);
   while($product = oci_fetch_array($get_products))
      echo "<option value='{$product['PRODUCT']}'>{$product['PRODUCT']}</option>\n":
   OCIFreeStatement($get_products);
   echo "</select>";
}
?>
<input type=submit>
</form>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.