Slow performance under MS Virtual Server

jjoaquina

So this is my problem. I'm setting up a backup server as a fast disaster recovery solution for my production environment using MS Virtual Server.

My setup is:

On the Host Machine

- Windows 2003 R2 SP1

- Virtual Server 1.5

- No other software installed

Under MS Virtual Server

- Windows 2003 R2 SP1

- mySQL 4.0.13 using innoDB

- No other software installed

Intel Dual Core 4 Intel Processor

Intel MOBO

Fast SATA 7200RPM drive X 2 (I don't remember the make/model)

I know I'm using an old version of mySQL but our production environment is quite stable, reason why I’m still using the same old version.

After setting the server and mySQL using the same directory structure and configuration file, and importing all data from the production server I noticed that long queries can take as long as 10X more than in a real server. Other applications, including processor and disk intensive applications performed well, almost as they were running on the real server, so there seems to be something strange happening with mySQL under Virtual Server.

I appreciate any advice on this matter.

Cheers,

JJ

Thanks mate, but I think I found the problem and don't know how to solve it. Actually the problem doesn't seem to be with the Virtual Server, but actually with mySQL running on under Windows 2003 and a 64bit processor, I forgot to mention this before. I saw somewhere that mySQL might have a bug that causes low performance running on a Windows 2003 (32 and 64 bits) with a 64 bit processor.

I did a test on the host machine and the results were quite the same. Using the same database on another Windows 2003, but this time with a 32 bit processor, the query was 10X faster, even with a slower processor and less memory.

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.