ODBC

strocknar

So i've got this server running a Progress DB.  I need to connect to it using PHP to pull customer/product data.  My web server is running FC6 with Apache and PHP.  I got iODBC installed and connecting to the database and created a simple page to create a connection:

<?php
      $conn = odbc_connect(DSN, NAME, PASS) or die ("error connecting");
?>

I just want to see if the page will run successfully.  It seems to except for one small thing.  When I run the file in a web browser it asks if I want to save it.  Any ideas why this would be happening?

Probably should have been more specific.

the code:

<?php
$fname = "./dled.php";
$handle = fopen($fname, "r");
$contents = fread($handle, filesize($fname));
echo $contents;
fclose($handle);
?>

Outputs

Warning: fread() [function.fread]: Length parameter must be greater than 0

so technically nothing

I've tried pulling the tables with odbc_tables($conn), i've tried echo ing text (both before and after the connection) and i've tried printing text.  I could see it asking me to download if there was something actually in the file, but the filesize is 0bytes.

Are you using the Merant ODBC driver? Its quirky at best. I don't think I ever found a PROGRESS ODBC driver for *nix. Mine is set up on a Windows box, but it works.

1) Set up a system DSN. Set the isolation level to "READ UNCOMMITED" or it will lock other users out when  you are querying tables.

2)  In php try something like this

$dsn = 'PROGRESS';

$user = 'odbcuser';

$pw = 'password';

$odbc_con  = odbc_connect($dsn,$user,$pw,SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC) or die(odbc_error());

Frost: those two websites as well as http://jehiah.cz/archive/compiling-shared-php-modules are what I used to set up PHP.  I had lampp installed and didn't want to recompile php/apache.

boo:  after that, page comes up blank.

artacus:  I'm using the ODBC driver from the progress website (progress.com i think).  You have to have aaccount with them to log in and all that fancy stuff in order to get it tho.  I had to get the driver from the provider of a seperate piece of software (the one connecting to this godforsaken database in the firstplace).

P.S.  Thank you all for your help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.