search friendly urls and sessions

neugi

Hi,

i've a little problem

i've written a little script that should make my urls "search friendly".

the only problem now it how i can handle the session without cookies?

old url index.php?page=1&newsID=2&PHPSID=2384234...

new url index/1/2/???

how can i handle the session_id in such urls i've tried to attache them in de last part but after every call of a page a new SID is calculated.

maybes somebody has an idea

thx

That PHPSID in the url defeates the whole purpose of SEO, it needs to be stored in the cookie.

Either way after session_start() you can set the id with session_id($sessidhere);

And that should restore the session.

An explination why sessid in the url does not do good SEO is that because it makes the URL obscenely long without any important data. Also the index/1/2 is not very good either as it does not provide words.

I would probably do something like index/page1/news2 or if the news has a title do that title like such

index/page2/news-title-here-2  (where 2 is the id) this would provide for multiple news titles that are the same.

Just some FYI, I have done extensive research on SEO. To be honest I would probably remove the index out of there too, but yea =)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.