PHP website messaging system

satal keto

I am presently making a website, one of the parts of this website is a messaging system.

I have finished making the messaging system (well the graphics could do with a quick going over but ow well) but I have just found a problem.

When the message is sent, although the message can be over many lines, it is shown (when viewed through the outbox or the inbox) on only one line. So for example

Hello

World

Is shown in the inbox/outbox as

Hello World

The information is being sent to a PHP script from a textarea.

The PHP script performs htmlentities on the variable holding the message (to reduce the security problems) and then stores the information in the database.

I was wondering whether anyone has any idea's on how it would be possible to have the message to retain its formatting?

Thanks for any help in advance

Satal Keto

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.