How to block certain PHP pages

anita999

I am new to PHP and need to create a Login/Register page.  I've completed the Registration part i.e. it will store user, email and password info and it sends a validation email to the user.  The user needs to click on this URL to activate the account.

For the Login, I will verify that the user and password exist in the DB and then store the user, password, etc variables in the _SESSION variable.  From what I can tell, is that these session variables are used to pass around session information from page to page for a user that is logged on the web site. 

Now, if the user successfully logs in, I want to redirect that user to a page where he/she can do some searches or see a list of information.  However, I am concerned that someone could actually access this page directly by typing in the URL plus the PHP.  What are ways to prevent a user from doing this kind of direct access?  Any good tips or URLs that describes this would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Anita

If you are checking the session variables on every page then that will fix the problem. If the user does not log in successfully and establish a session then they cannot access the page.

There are a ton of good tutorials on the web about this. Basically in every page you need to have

session_start() at the top of every page before any other code or lines. Then verfiy the session variables and if they don't match use the die() function to kill the page and display an error message.

No just once, and if the information is correct you set the session variable to a certain value. Then on every subsequent page you check the value of that session variable. If it does not match what you initially set it to then you either kill the script or redirect the user via the header function.

This is the Example

When login set a sesion variable like this $_SESSION['user_id'] = "12";

Now in each page where you want to restict mantion below scrips

session_start()

if(!isset($_SESSION['user_id'])){

....... Through out somewhwere

}

In logout script unset($_SESSION['user_id']);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.