[SOLVED] PHP-based timer system...even possible?

mem0ri

Yes there is, but probably you should look into "cron" instead.  cron can call a script at specific times throughout the day.

What you described is commonly called a "daemon" .. it's not common to write one in php but it's certainly possible.

Thank you...I ended up taking a look at cron and my server 'crontabs' per your suggestion.

I think my next query along this line needs to be...if I call a PHP page that includes the "CONSTANTS" page and change a constant...will that changed constant persist?  I believe it should...I guess the best way is to try it out.  Thank you.

I don't know what you mean by the "CONSTANTS" page.  I'm also not sure what you mean by "call a PHP page" :)

Can you show your code (if you have some).

If you are using require() or include() to use a php file which defines some constants, then those constants will only change when the file is edited.

Yes, sorry...I was being vague...probably had to do with having been up and in front of code for about 20 hours straight.

Anyway...I did mean altering a value from within a page that defines constants.

Thank you for the answers...going to mark this topic solved.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.