open folder on local computer

ltbaggz

What i am looking to do is to use a link in a web based administrative tool to allow the user to click and open up a folder on a network drive in our office.  The access to this is limited to only in house employees (about 20).  does anyone have ideas of how this can be accomplished and minimize security risks?  I am currently playing around with some activeXojbects in javascript, but im open to any other suggestions as well. thanks for the help.  oh and the site is hosted offsite.

drew

that is what i am currently using, and it works fine on IE, but not on firefox.  any idea? here is the formats that i am trying.

firefox will recognize the first link as shown, but will not open a new window or do anything when the link is clicked.

the second one, firefox recognizes it as http://sharename/ and tells me the page can not be found. IE works with both.

<a href="file://sharename/" target="_blank">here </a>

<br>

<a href="\\sharename/" target="_blank">second </a>

one other thing with firefox is if i type in file://sharename/ into the address bar, then it will come up, it seems that it is some kind of security with firefox not allowing public links to open folders on your computer, which makes sense.  ive looked at the security settings but havent been able to find anything, any ideas.

thanks,

Drew

http://www.answermysearches.com/making-firefox-browse-a-local-directory/103/

in short, not possible in firefox without updating firefox settings via config pages. not viable to make every user do this either. better just to tell them to navigate to the location manually.

no javascript alternative either as far as i know as javascript dosen't have file permissions. at least I know you can't create files etc...

another idea....use an iframe with the src set to the target folder, although not sure if firefox will give the same problem.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.