php create table

tcorbeil

I am able to create a table in mySQL with:

mysql_query("CREATE TABLE $Subpage( submitdate DATE NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(submitdate), Page TEXT, weblink TEXT, rss TEXT, name VARCHAR(50), email VARCHAR(50))")or die("Create table Error: ".mysql_error());

but when I enter data into it using:

$query = "INSERT INTO $filename VALUES ('$submitdate','$Page','$weblink','$rss', '$name', '$email')";

it seems the table only accepts 1 entry..  so the insert into works once, then doesn't work at all..

any ideas?

T.

first of all, i would reccomend adding {} to your variables

$query = "INSERT INTO $filename VALUES ('{$submitdate}','{$Page}','{$weblink}','{$rss}', '{$name}', '{$email}')";

Also, I would say you should add a column with an auto increment to avoid conflicts and other problems

SpaM!

your only updating $filename

$query = "INSERT INTO $filename VALUES ('$submitdate','$Page','$weblink','$rss', '$name', '$email')";

try

$query = "INSERT INTO 'submitdate','Page','weblink','rss', 'name', 'email' VALUES ('$submitdate','$Page','$weblink','$rss', '$name', '$email')";

errr... I thought the $filename was the table...

$query = "INSERT INTO 'submitdate','Page','weblink','rss', 'name', 'email' VALUES ('$submitdate','$Page','$weblink','$rss', '$name', '$email')";

That wont work cause you arn't specifying a table

Thanks spamoom.

I use the exact script to load into a table I created in PHPadmin.. when i try to upload into that table, it works no problem..

i only doesn't work on tables that have been created by my code in php..

There must be something different between the table I created manually and that of the table that is created by code.. I just can't figure it out.. I wish I could see the code that was used by PHPadmin to create the table I created manually...

I would like to contradict spam and state the the {} inside the quotes tend to be less efficient. The way you had it is perfectly fine.

As for the auto_increment value, that is true, try using this for your table structure:

mysql_query("CREATE TABLE $Subpage( submitid int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, submitdate DATE NOT NULL, Page TEXT, weblink TEXT, rss TEXT, name VARCHAR(50), email VARCHAR(50), PRIMARY KEY(submitid))")or die("Create table Error: ".mysql_error());

And change your insert to this:

$query = "INSERT INTO $Subpage (`submitdate`, `page`, `weblink`,`rss`,`name`,`email`) VALUES ('$submitdate','$Page','$weblink','$rss', '$name', '$email')";

It is generally a good idea to define the columns so you know that the data is going in right.

You should alwasys set up an auto incrementing id that is tintnt, always, it will make selecting rows faster and avoid all the headaches of typing later.

for example:

select * FROM tablename WHERE id =  '$id'

rather than

select * from tablename WHERE blogtext = '$blogtext'

I do not know about tinyint, as that only goes so far and depending on the size of the database. I generally use Int(11) because that allows for plenty of records and I never had a problem with speed or having to change the int column due to size.

But to each their own =)

You should alwasys set up an auto incrementing id that is tintnt, always, it will make selecting rows faster and avoid all the headaches of typing later.

Fine, if you never need more than 127 records, but when you're dealing with tables containing millions of records then tinyint isn't going to cut it.

I have always used tinyint simply for that reason, I generally on have 50-60 records, however I do have some with 30,000 records running int. I suppose I should have been more specific. But I am glad to see it is working.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.