SQL not working

The Little Guy

Prima facie, nothing appears wrong, syntactically.

You need to give more diagnostic information.  Try checking for error codes returned after attempting to execute this query.  Are you sure $pass contains what you want it to contain and is being parsed correctly?  What is your table structure?  Etc, etc, etc.

Here is the Table I am using

I changed the name of the word column to wrd (it didn't do anything).

I changed the name of the table from common_words to cwords

This code runs error free, but doesn't return results.

The first one is the table structure, and the second is the SQL query in action.

If you compaire the two, I used Aaron, for the SQL (img 2), and Aaron is in the database (img 1).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Okay, that is weird.  The only thing that comes to mind is that there might be some trailing whitespace in the 'wrd' column.  I.e., maybe instead of "Aaron" it's actually "Aaron  " or "Aaron\n" or something so MySQL won't match with the equal sign.  You could try some other query like "...WHERE wrd RLIKE 'Aaron'" or "...wrd LIKE 'Aaron%'".  Depending on how you inserted your dictionary into the database, that might be a possibility.

(I'm not familiar with PHPMySQLAdmin, so I don't know what caveats/trouble might be related to that.)

Using the % will kill efficiency though, if your table is large.  Particularly if you have it at the start.  If you exploded with \n, it's possible you have a dos format file, and so you have a hidden \r in every string in your database.  You can try using some of the string length and substring functions in mysql to investigate further.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.