need advice for developing Leave tracking system

keenlearner

Hello, I might be offered by a little company to build the web base leave tracking system which I never built before, the application have the following features :

- When an employee logged in, there are features like leave application form, cancellation leave, history, carried forward leave and staff on leave

- The leave application for content the details for the employees(name, department,group, approved by, employee no., job description, start date) and also the form for the employee to fill in and apply the leave.

I am a 7 months PHP and MySQL learner, I am still a student, but I think I am able to build or learn to build these application. Please give me the advice and tips for building such application or answer these questions optionally by numbering your answers accordingly.

1. Is it ideal to use MySQL, because I saw others are using SQL Server ?

2. What are the securities that I need to take into account ?

3. What are the PHP function that I might need to use which I might not come across those function. (the function that is a little more than basic one)

4. I plan to host the application on my website, because I want to protect my PHP codes, should I do that ? so there will be other company can use my service.

5. Give me any resources, website, tips , advice or just anything else.

Thank you so much. :)

Advice? Try not tackling a problem that you don't have the skills for, which is how I perceive it based on questions #2 and #3. As to #4, when a company pays you to do something the code that you write is their property -- unless agreed upon by both parties. So allowing other companies to use your code is not acceptable.

Thanks for the comments, I used to develop web based application for my own use, but I never develop for others. So do you have other advice specifically on the application so that I can tackle that ?

I suggest doing lots of research on form validation to make sure that you are only getting the type of data that you want. Do not trust any entry of data from the URL, from forms, or even from cookies that you originally set. Don't worry so much about PHP functions, if you find yourself in need of a function that does something search for it, if it doesn't exist, make it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.