[SOLVED] SELECT *

Maverickb7

I was wondering if someone could help me. What would I have to put within the $sort variable to have that request display all rows starting with a number? right now I have to put 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 seperate. Anyway I can include it all in one variable that would work below?

$q = 'SELECT * '
        . ' FROM `company_details` '
        . ' WHERE `cname` LIKE  \'' . $sort . '%\''
        . ' ORDER BY `cname` ASC'; 
$r = mysql_query($q);

look at string formatting

% means any char of any length.  look at other wildcards that do stuf with only 1 character, so that you can loop through the string......... its all in string formatting and conditions

good luck

so I would use the following:

if ($sort = #) {
$q = 'SELECT * '
        . ' WHERE SUBSTR(cname, 1, 1) IN (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)'
        . ' ORDER BY `cname` ASC'
}
else {
$q = 'SELECT * '
}

Basically what I'm doing is receiving information from the url. detail.php?sort=a <-- like that. With that it will list all results starting with A. I'm trying to have it display all numeric results if # is inputed where A was. Would this code do that for me.. if not how would I change it to work?

Well, did you at least test if the SQL statement I posted gave you the results you wanted? Because determining wether the input is a number or not is a different question. So, which one are you asking now?

Assuming the query I gave you works, here is how you would determine if the input was a number:

<?php
if (is_numeric($sort)) {
   $q = 'SELECT * '
        . ' WHERE SUBSTR(cname, 1, 1) IN (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)'
}
else {
   $q = 'SELECT * '
}
?>

OK, the numbers just need to be enclosed in quotes. I have tested this and it works:

Made some minor changes to simplify as well

<?php

if (is_numeric($sort)) {
  $WHERE = "WHERE SUBSTR(cname, 1, 1) IN ('0','1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9')";
} else {
  $WHERE = "WHERE cname LIKE '$sort%'";
}

$q = "SELECT *
      FROM `company_details`
      $WHERE
      ORDER BY `cname` ASC";

?>

Works beautiful mjdamato, thanks so much!

Just curious... it's not importent but how come this doesn't work?

if ($sort == "#") {
  $WHERE = "WHERE SUBSTR(cname, 1, 1) IN ('0','1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9')";
} else {
  $WHERE = "WHERE cname LIKE '$sort%'";
}

$q = "SELECT *
      FROM `company_details`
      $WHERE
      ORDER BY `cname` ASC";

I'm trying to get it to allow me to use detail.php?sort=# and have it display all the numeric results but that doesn't seems to work. Any ideas?

Some characters cannot be sent via the query string in an unencoded format. You have probably seen plenty of web addresses that have %20 in them. That is the URL encoding for a space. Similarly the pound character needs to be encoded if passed on the query string.

So you would need to use detail.php?sort=%23 and then your PHP code would recognize it as the pound symbol - #

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.