PHP problem with shell_exec() command

shenmu0

Hello all,

I've came up with an issue when trying to work on Linux's shell using PHP

it seems to work when I issue the following commands, shell_exec("iptables -h");, shell_exec("ls"); and shell_exec("ifconfig");

however when I'm trying to do something like this, shell_exec("iptables -L") or shell_exec("iptables restart");

it doesnt seem to work

I am a PHP and Linux novice.... 

Could somebody kindly help me, I am desparate to get this working 

Thankyou

Hello, thanks for replying

I've tried several commands, such as "ls -l","ifconfig" and "iptables -h", these all works and return the result on the browser.

However when I'm trying to do "iptables -L" which shows the currently configuration in my firewall, nothing happens..

this is my code:  $output = shell_exec ("iptables -L");

echo $output;

I also tried the "service iptables restart" command using shell_exec, however it returned: "Unloading iptables module [FAILED], Applying iptables firewall [FAILED].

This means that there are results for certain commands, is it a problem with permissions?

I heard some people use "sudo" to authorize the access, but I don't know how to use it.

Please give me some advice

iptables is probably not in your path.  Try /sbin/iptables or /usr/sbin/iptables.  It's a good habit to use exact paths too, for security.

I would expect it to require root access.. you wouldn't want normal users examining your firewall rules.  I can't advise you on how to set that up though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.