Protecting my code!

cherni99

Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone can help. I am working on a fairly complex site for the last 8 months (evenings and weekends) and I am getting a little skeptical about the employer. I have delivered most of the code and it is up and running well on the hosting server. Now at this stage I am fearing the worst, non-payment and bouncing cheques! Is there any way I can reference the yet undelivered code from my server to the hosting server? If this could be done I could have some sort of power over the sites development without jeopardising delivery!! The word "trust" is often over used in this business!!

Many thanks,

Cherni99

Well, what you should have done was put all of the code on your own server and get a live demo up and running.  If he likes what he sees he buys it, otherwise he doesn't.

Anyways, seeing as you have already sent much of your code as you have said...there's not so much you can do.  He may already have copies.  You can use Zend though...look it up.

What I would do, is code a sleepers into my code. Request half payment up front, OR code the site and host it on your own server so they can see it working and than make them pay in full for the code.

Other than that unless you have host logins once you give them the code it's over with. Sleepers are a great way to have access to remove all of your files in case of non-payment.

When I'm making a site for a client I always host it on my own server until it is finished. Then I ask for payment before uploading the files to their server.

That way they can also log-in to check up on how there site is coming on.

Thanks for the input guys - the thing is I did get half payment upfront(very rare) which was fine and all was good, its the rest that I am unsure of!! i was trying to use the include and require functions but as you all know didnt work...:-[. By the way, i do have access to the sites control panel if thats any use??

While I can understand where you are coming from, you can't assume that to be true.  He may be working on another project currently, or he may be downright lazy. Or, he may know enough PHP to know what the code does, but he can't necessarily write it himself.  Just like some people can understand a language fairly well but are unable to speak it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.