Collecting credit card info

denhamd2

Hi guys,

I've not done a shopping cart before so I'm not sure what the story is with credit cards. I've collected all the user's personal info and products purchased as variables, do I just do the same with the credit card info (as $_POST variables to keep them hidden)? Is this sufficient? I'm not planning on emailing the info to the store owner just letting them login to an admin area to collect it. Is this secure enough or what should I do differently? What's the deal with security certificates? What do they actually do and are they expensive? Any help you could provide on this would be great.

Thanks in advance

Guest prozente

A SSL certificate is used so that the connection is encrypted. You can get SSL certificates for free, you can even generate your own. The reason you have to pay for some is that it's from a trusted source and they ensure that you are who you say you are. Before you process any credit card information you need to thoroughly audit your code for any vulnerabilities and run all transmitted data over SSL. This isn't something to take lightly.

to answer your question, it highly depends on how you've developed the rest of your shopping cart... i would recommend using an SSL certificate when handling ANY sensitive data. this is not only limited to credit card information. think about your user's address and email address.

There are many 'ready-made' shopping carts available in PHP that are highly customizable and can be easily integrated into your site. Results can be found on google...

it's always good to try and build your own. then and only then can you truly appreciate the work that goes into building a shopping cart with a CMS backend. it is a highly involved process.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.