lion

tiger

categories contains the following animals:

cat

dog

lion

tiger

zebra

basically i want to echo all the animals in 'categories' that are NOT in 'group_categories'

so it would be cat,dog, zebra

anyone can help me?

I think you should make some changes to your database.

Let's try this:

Make three tables in your database:

1. tbl_animals

id animal_name category_id

2. tbl_categories

id category_name

Than you could provide some combo for users to choose category for animals. When that happend save ID of that category to table tbl_animals.category_id.

So later when you want to populate some combo with all animals who are without catergory_id (that means you hadn't set category for those animals) you can make query:

SELECT * FROM tbl_animals WHERE category_id = NULL

If you want query database to get results of all animals and their categories you can use JOIN method:

SELECT tbl_animals.*, tbl_categories.category_name FROM tbl_animals LEFT JOIN tbl_categories ON tbl_animals.category_id = tbl_categories.id

I'm not sure if that could be solution for you. It independents of what you want to do exactly.

But I hope this was helpfull for you.

Cheers ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.