if ($variable != int) ...

chiprivers

Yes. But isn't that a bit weird.. why is something enclosed in pings treatet as a numeric? Maybe I got the whole what's a string and what's not wrong : ). You learn every day - thanks!

Edit: Perhaps it's safe to use is_int() on the $var instead? If you're just checking for 12345..

Edit again again: Oh, I just read the manual. "To test if a variable is a number or a numeric string (such as form input, which is always a string), you must use is_numeric()." - that makes sense.

is_numeric checks whether the given variables holds a numeric value, weather a number is held within a string or not. The following is considered numeric:

'123'

"123"

If want to check that the variable holds an integer, then use is_int. is_int considers the following as integers:

I'm a bit lost now, let me explain in what context I am using this and perhaps you could explain my options?

I am dealing with horse racing results and I am extracting the data from the code source of a webpage.  The section that lists the horses gives their finishing position which is obviously a numeric value. I am inserting this into a mysql database with a column type int.  However, for some races, horses are also listed that did not complete the race and the value returned where there would normally be a numeric value is an abbreviation of letters indicating the reason that they did not finish the race, ie PU for pulled up.  This value I can obviously not put into my current int column in the database.  So I wanted to have a seperate varchar column in the database where I put an entry if the horse did not complete the race, hence I need to check whether the value taken from the script is numeric or not to know which column to put it into.

Perhaps I am making this a lot more complex than I need to!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.