multiple servers handling a mysql database?

LanceT

Do you mean one mysql installation running across multiple machines?  I believe clustering is available in mysql if you buy a special version of it.  To spread databases across multiple servers I use replication.

Yes, I want my script to connect to a single mySQL database, but I want the server load to be handled between two servers for speed reasons.

thanks for your info. Any specific sites where I can look up this information?

I am not sure what clustering and replication are.

OK, I've researched a little bit on replication and clustering, and it seems that replication is probably what I want, but I am still a little confused as to what replication really does.

Say I have a huge table (lets say 100 millions of rows - hypothetically), replication will basically speed up a query such as a SELECT query from my database because it uses the slave servers to split up the data (the rows)?

I've been reading the mySQL guide for replication, and its a bit technical for me, so if someone can basically explain what replication does in simple terms that would be very helpful.

THANKS

Simply put, replication duplicates your database (or a subset of it) across multiple mysql installations.  AFAIK you can't split one table so some data is on one machine while other data from the same table is on another machine.  Basically, the point of replication is to have multiple copies of your database so multiple machines can be used to access the data.  But there are complications involved with writing applications to use those multiple machines.

Replication itself doesn't speed up any queries.  It lets you send queries to different machines so no one machine is running every query.

If you want to always connect to one database with the mysql processes spread across machines (and one set of tables) then you're probably looking for clustering.

If you want to always connect to one database with the mysql processes spread across machines (and one set of tables) then you're probably looking for clustering.

ah thats exactly what I am looking for. I've read a bit about clustering and it seems that it takes up a lot of memory. Anyone know about this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.