preg_match for css style

sachavdk

I'm trying to get the css code out of the style tags of a html documents like this:

<style type="text/css">

<!--

.style1 {

font-size: 11px;

}

-->

</style>

I'm trying to get

<!--

.style1 {

font-size: 11px;

}

-->

This is what I have now

preg_match("/(<style type=\"text\/css\">)+([.])+(<\/style>)/", $fread, $style);

Both methods give errors.

The first one gives

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier 'c' in ...

The second:

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: unmatched parentheses at offset 53 in ...

preg_match("@<style[^>]+(type=['\"]?[^'\"]+['\"]?)?[^>]+?>(.+?)</style>@is", $fread, $style);
print_r($style);

My bad, had an extra parenthesis.

Well, I'll go through all of the "regex" parts, because I don't think the plain text parts need explanation.

[^>]+ - This piece of regex says to search for any characters except the closing HTML tag.  This was put between style and type in case the user maybe had an id attribute, or had multiple spaces.

(type=['\"]?[^\"]+['\"]?)? - This says to search the string for everything in the parenthesis.  The question mark indicates that whatever is in the parenthesis doesn't HAVE to be there, and may not, in case the type="" is omitted, this will still find the user's style.

['\"]? - Some users use single quotes, some use double, some don't use any.  That's what this handles.

[^'\"]+ - This will match anything inside of the type="" tag, searching for any character except a quote.

[^>]+? - This was strapped on there in case there was anything after the type="" tag.

(.+?) - This will match any character between the style tags.

maybe some last questions, what is the "is" doing after the @delimiter?

and if I just replace style with body, it doesn't work

I'm doing:

$fread = fread($cont, filesize($file));

preg_match("@<body[^>]+(type=['\"]?[^'\"]+['\"]?)?[^>]+?>(.+?)</body>@is", $fread, $fbody);

preg_match("@<style[^>]+(type=['\"]?[^'\"]+['\"]?)?[^>]+?>(.+?)</style>@is", $fread, $fstyle);

$fstyle[2] contains the content between the style tags, but $fbody[2] is empty.

and last, shouldn't $fread[1] contain "text/css"? because it is empty...

$fread[1] will not contain text/css, $fstyle[1] should contain that.

i and s are pattern modifiers.

i (PCRE_CASELESS)

If this modifier is set, letters in the pattern match both upper and lower case letters.

s (PCRE_DOTALL)

If this modifier is set, a dot metacharacter in the pattern matches all characters, including newlines. Without it, newlines are excluded. This modifier is equivalent to Perl's /s modifier. A negative class such as [^a] always matches a newline character, independent of the setting of this modifier.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.