Inserting large strings into a MySQL DB

sirdavidoff

Hi guys,

I have a mysql database, in which I want to store some files as longblobs. I'm using PEAR to connect to the DB. So far so good... until the files get over 16MB; the server takes ages to do the query and finally breaks without actually performing it.

I'm reading in the file to a variable in memory and outputting that variable in the SQL statement, e.g.

"INSERT INTO table VALUES('$fileContents');"

What's weird (and what makes me think it's not a max_allowed_packet problem) is that if I use MySQL's LOAD_FILE() function it works fine:

"INSERT INTO table VALUES(LOAD_FILE('$pathToFile'));"

Any ideas?

David

Unfortunately this is part of a complex application, and it's not really feasible to change the way that the files are stored now. I have found other posts on the internet from people who have had similar problems and ended up giving up though... someone must know the answer!

Hi frost110 - you're right, it sounds like a PHP memory limit problem and indeed the default memory_limit for my version of PHP (4.4.4) is 16MB.

However, I have tried increasing this and it doesn't seem to make any difference. It is interesting to note that the memory_limit variable does not appear in phpInfo() - does this mean that there is no limit set by PHP?

Thanks for your help  :)

Check the php.ini for the max post size. Most of the time it is between 8-16 mb. you can change that at the top of your script by using ini_set like this:

ini_set('max_upload_size', '300000');

ini_set('max_post_size', '300000');

You can try different size limits to get different results.

They should come right after you opening tag before anyting is sent to the page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.