The tempnam function

Heero

Hi all,

I am having troubling understanding something with the tempnam function.

Given this code:

<?php
$tmpfname = tempnam("/tmp", "FOO");

$handle = fopen($tmpfname, "w");
fwrite($handle, "writing to tempfile");
fclose($handle);

// do here something

unlink($tmpfname);
?> 

I expected the code to create an unique file name in the /tmp directory (this directory already exists) of the current location of my file running it.  However, the code produced a file in the location C:\WINDOWS\FOOB5.tmp.  Which is apparently where my "system's temporary directory" is...I was looking at the phpinfo() results and I couldn't find any reference to this system temporary directory.

Could someone enlighten me on why it is placing the unique file in the system temporary directory and not the /tmp directory?

If the system can't create the file in the directory you specify, it will fall back to a default.  You might want to try "C:\\tmp" as your directory, if that's where you want to make your temporary files.  The webserver must have access to write there, but if it can write to c:\windows then it can write anywhere :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.