Message and Log Theory Help

scottybwoy

Morning all,

I've come to a point where I can't get my head round how to do what I want to do.  So I wondered if anyone here has done it or can point me in the right direction.

I have a CRM system and I want a messaging and sort of logging system in one.  The screen is broken up into five parts :

1) A header section with search fields date and time.

2) A left hand main section with relevant forms and menus.

3) An upper right hand section where I want my messages and alert sections to appear.

4) A lower right hand section where random product info appears as an aid to the employee.

5) And a footer section that displays targets and other constructive data.

In my messaging system I have three types of messages :

1) Confirmation msg, telling them what they have done. i.e. Customer Removed.

2) Process msg, advising the user what is to be done i.e. Ring customer.

3) Error msg i.e. Please check post code.

Now I know how to make the trigger work to display the alerts, but can't think of a what data I need to store and how to.  For instance if the user has just input a new product.  I want it so that If they click on the the msg "Product 'name' has been added" I want it to bring up the page for that product 'name' for them to review what has just been added, and to amend if need be.

Also I wish to make an error log but with more descriptions for me the administrator and polite messages for the user.  Could this be stored in the same table?

My format for data storage I was thinking of would be to have :

msgId          int        for logging purposes

msgType      smallint  to distinguish msgs

msg            varchar  what is to be displayed

sql              varchar  if data needs to be called how to do it (Nulls allowed)

Is this a satisfactory way of going about it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.