Auth question

scrupul0us

IS there a way to setup a directory with auth such that i dont give it a username/password of anytype BUT i can pass headers to apache via PHP to authenticate

basically what im trying todo is authenticate users on my front end using MySQL and then send them to a protected directory underneath that main root if you will... right now the main root doest allow indexes BUT if you know the directory name under that root you can load its contents just fine (i am using satisfy all)

so in short:

-even if you know the correct directory and proceed to it youll get bounced back to the "root"

-if you are authenticated via php & mysql send a header to apache that says this user is good allow them in

Not sure if you can do this.  Its kind of a controdiction in terms!  Might be easyer to do this via php.  You could wight a function to sit at the very top of whatevers in the file.  The script would do somethig like:

Query database to see if that session_id() is linked to an authenticated user.

If the above returns false then redirect to the public area.

If above returns true then load the rest of the page.

So long as this is at the top, then they will be redirected before any other content is loaded.

Enjoy!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.