Apache Slow Download Speed

thisforumlags

I receive very slow download speeds from my apache server. These files aren't big but I always receive a max of 10 KB/s, which takes a while for even smaller files. I am on cable internet but my upload speed should be adequate enough (something like 512kbps? and around 360-400 on online tests). I would believe that it would be faster than this. I have multiple server applications running, including a counter-strike: source server, ventrilo, teamspeak, realvnc,  etc. without lag or latency issues when using them.

When I download directly from the server, it is almost instant because I'm on the LAN, but when I access it through the internet, the max rate I can receive is 10KB/s, along with anyone else downloading the files. Is there any way to increase the download speed from my server? It takes around 20 minutes for a 10mb file.

Also, let me note that the other server applications are not used too often and would not drain the amount of upload allocated to my websites. But, when the server applications are used, they work fine and without any latency issues, even for people 3000 miles away from me.

If it runs fast on your LAN but not externaly its probably not apache.  Perhaps the other apps are compeationg for speed.

Also as the connection will probaly have a high contention ratio you may not be getting all the download speed you think.  Will vary through out the day.

What type of server is it?  I would sugest checking the routing rules, both on the mashine and router. 

Let me state this again: the other apps are RARELY ever used. They take up almost no bandwidth because they are rarely ever accessed and if they are for short periods of time. Whenever I try to download and whoever tries to download always receive a constant speed of 10 kb/s. If I'm running utorrent, I can easily attain an upload speed of 100kb/s without restrictions. But, I do not use torrent often and also would not cause the use of bandwidth.

Could my ISP be somehow limiting bandwitdth from port 80? The download speed is ALWAYS a constant 10-11 kb/s.

Guest prozente

you said you can get 100kb/s in utorrent and you said

I always receive a max of 10 KB/s

well 100kb/s is only 12.5KB/s

The more internet applications you use, the more users you share your connection with, etc the more bandwidth will be used, which will in turn take away from your speed.

I know torrent is only 12.5 KB/s but on those download/upload tests online, I receive an upload of around 512 kb/s. I was hoping that I could get a better upload of just 12.5KB/s... The smallest files take forever to download.

Like I've said, most internet applications are not used and most users do not connect to my servers so my connection is rarely used. My websites are accessed often, but they only include text and would not greatly affect the download at that time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.