The Advantages of PHP / MySQL over .NET

JSHINER

I am working on a few projects, and my partners have asked me to tell them why PHP / MySQL is a better choice for our site than .NET. Now other than the fact that .NET is not as relible, is slower, and is more expensive to host, I am looking for a few opinions on why PHP / MySQL is the most reliable choice.

I am somewhat new to PHP and MySQL and have never used .NET before, so I can not provide all the answers.

Any opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I know this is not a great answer as I have not used .NET either... but

PHP is Free, Open source, Widely Used, NOT MICROSOFT CONTROLLED  lol

With it being open source, there is a VERY large community supporting it. .Net is more expensive to host, and I believe more expensive to even develop on.

I set up a testing server for $0. 733Mhz PC given to me, Ubuntu Linux, Apache, Mysql, Php. All Free Downloads. Last time I checked, the MS equivalent for these (Windows, IIS, MSSQL, ASP)were a large chunk of change to get running.

Hope this helps at least a little

as far as I know, .NET might be actually more reliable. Or maybe I should say scalable.

for extremely large projects and/or extremely high traffic web app, I think it would be reasonable to go with .NET actually.

but every other reasons you stated is right. PHP and MySQL are free, open-source, have a large community to support it (thus having fewer dangerous bugs), cheaper to do development on, and probably a bit faster than .NET. it's easier to setup too. even on my own WinXP pc, it took little time to setup Apache, MySQL and PHP on it with no problems.

for example, MySQL is not very good at handling large # of connections. If you have a super high traffic site and the project is huge, MySQL may not be able to handle it. (it's not just the # of connections, but also query execution times, etc.)

I don't know that much about .NET, but I assume you use MS's SQL server with it usually. Pretty sure it can handle a higher load than MySQL.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.