ereg help

chrisuk

What are you trying to accomplish? The reason the first one fails is that it does not contain ANY of the characters you specified. The way you have written the regex, the string must contain at least ONE of the characters you have specified. I am assuming you are wanting to limit the user to ONLY entering the characters specified:

if (eregi ("[^a-z]", $surname )) { echo "Invalid"; }

else { echo "Valid"; }

You need to post your code, I don't think you followed my example correctly. You are probably not using eregi as I did in my example! ereg is case sensitive, eregi is not. Plus, did you change the test from a false test to a positive test? Lastly, if you want to include spaces in the name then you need to add a space to the test as well.

if (eregi ("[^a-z ]", $surname )) { echo "Invalid"; }

else { echo "Valid"; }

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.